Does a 3-year PhD experience in a non-German EU university count in determining the salary for a TVL-13 (100%) position?

Academia Asked by user126706 on January 2, 2022

I was wondering what paygrade (Stufe) I am likely to get for a position advertized as TVL-13 (100%), knowing that I have a 3-year PhD experience from a EU (non-German) university.

The postition’s title is Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter in German but Research Engineer in English. Also, if we consider the kind of tasks/responsibilities involved in the position, it involves working in a EU project, which is something I did during the years of my PhD.

All similar posts (linked below) seem to be referring to the case where the PhD work has been conducted in a German university. So, I wanted to check if that wasn’t the case, would chances of getting a higher grade be reduced or not?

I don’t know if this is relevant, but unlike question (3), I paid taxes during my PhD.

Closely-related questions:

(1) Post-doc Salary in Germany

(2) Criteria of experience recognition for “TV-L 13” position

(3) Does PhD work experience (scholarship was tax free) count in Postdoc Salary contract (TVL-13) in Germany

Less closely-related posts:

(4) What is the difference between TV-L E13 and TV-L E14 positions? Is it negotiable?

(5) German postdoc salaries (TV-L E14)

3 Answers

I worked for three different universities in the same Bundesland (state) in Germany. Although they all followed the same general regulations, the interpretation was rather different.

  • one considered my PhD (on a scholarship, so not employed) as relevant experience, one not.
  • one said my Cambridge University (UK) degree was a Fachhochschulabschluss, one considered it as full university degree.
  • one was willing to negotiate (not with me, but with the institute that I should work for), one was not.

So you need to talk to your future boss and to the university that wants to employ you.

Answered by J Fabian Meier on January 2, 2022

If the position is project funded, it may depend on the negotiation with the project leader. If it is a state funded position, then it should be up to the universities' policies. However given your experience, I think is unlikely that they only set you up for the first level/Stufe.

Answered by H S on January 2, 2022

In the end that is something you can only clarify with your potential future employer. However, so far - from the little experience and insights I have - both options can occur: I know people who worked for the public administration before (which in the end is also paid according to the TV-L or TVöD) and started on Stufe (level) 1 - while others with just practical but related job experience started in a higher Stufe (level). So in the end it most likely depends on your institution and its flexibility - as well as your negotiation skills (and the availability of other applicants or the lack of such).

Answered by Marco N. on January 2, 2022

Add your own answers!

Related Questions

Deferring PhD offer

4  Asked on November 21, 2021


How to state incomplete Ph.D in CV (not defended yet)?

0  Asked on November 13, 2021 by kapr0001


Ask a Question

Get help from others!

© 2023 All rights reserved. Sites we Love: PCI Database, UKBizDB, Menu Kuliner, Sharing RPP