How do I replicate this misty spray paint texture/pattern?

I am restoring some old Microscopes and the existing coatings are in poor shape. I would like to strip the castings and refinish them to look as original as possible. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine what coating or process was used to achieve the fine water mist texture as shown:

B&L Microscope Misty Paint Texture

Is there a paint or process available to achieve something at least close to it?

Arts & Crafts Asked by ATL_DEV on August 25, 2021

3 Answers

3 Answers

If the material is metal, one can use a wrinkle finish powdercoat to accomplish this result. It's not quite exactly the same texture, but wrinkle finish powdercoat may qualify in that it's random and irregular.

Using search terms "texture powder coat" provides a number of similar finishes, including hammertone and silver vein, the latter shown below:

silver vein finish powder coat

If there is a powder coating service in your area, they can advise of the available finishes. You can also purchase a home powder coating system which can be used with an inexpensive (yard sale) toaster oven for small parts.

Correct answer by fred_dot_u on August 25, 2021

The true way to do it is as fred_dot_u (upvoted your answer!) suggested - a powder coat. However if you did want to hack it, you could spread a very thin layer of elmer's glue or a spray adhesive and roll the surface in a light layer of sand and let dry for a couple of hours. Once fully dry, spray paint it over. That should give you a similar sort of texture. My husband uses this method when he paints mini figurines and mini landscapes, and it works well.

Answered by Romna Dolan on August 25, 2021

The best way i could think of getting this would be to hold the spray paint far back from the object. This will usually result in some sort of bumpy texture like the one pictured. The only real way to do this would be a special powder coat, but im assuming you dont want to pay for that. You could also try stippling with a brush and thick paint. My last idea would be getting a grip spray paint/anti slip paint. These are the only ways using spray paint I can think of to get that texture.

Answered by DripKracken on August 25, 2021

Add your own answers!

Related Questions

Is there such thing as squeezing your values?

1  Asked on August 24, 2021 by roqux


Cleaning and oiling a Singer 3002

2  Asked on August 24, 2021 by holly


Bind a back with its pages without stains

1  Asked on August 24, 2021 by user3450548


What is this style of picture frame called?

0  Asked on August 24, 2021 by togashi


How should a child first learn to draw?

5  Asked on February 11, 2021 by kay-bei


Evenly spaced increase

1  Asked on January 25, 2021 by cattails17


How to wind a hank of yarn without a swift?

4  Asked on January 2, 2021 by user812786


Color sequence of a sunset

3  Asked on December 22, 2020 by user1234


How do I maintain my oil paint brushes?

2  Asked on December 8, 2020 by iljarepin


Does Cyanoacrylate glue inhibit Mold Star silicone?

1  Asked on November 3, 2020 by ethan-reesor


Ask a Question

Get help from others!

© 2022 All rights reserved.