SharePoint Asked by mhouston100 on January 16, 2021
We have a pre-production SP 2016 instance (single server) that we are commissioning but for some reason the landing page TTFB is slow. The rest of the resources and page load in reasonable time but the initial TTFB is usually between 5-10 seconds.
We have a DEV server configured the same (with about a quarter of the resources assigned) and the page loads fine.
Here are some Chrome ‘Network’ stats:
And here is the tree view to show compared to the other resources:
I am at the end of my rope trying ot figure this out. CPU, memory and disk are basically zero on both the single app server and the SQL instance, there is basically no content in the site at all yet and there are only two admins even accessing it.
I’ve checked every log I can find and I can’t seem to find anything that would cause this single issue. The strangest part is that every couple of minutes it will go back down to a reasonable amount (less than 500ms) to load the entire page.
To get some more metrics I set a PRTG sensor to scrape the page every 30 seconds and the load time fluctuates wildly, generally 5-10 seconds but dipping all the way down also.
Any advice on where to look?
Things I’ve looked at:
EDIT : There appears to actually be several 401 errors with different resources (mostly images) which I’m having our SP admin look into as well. Some of them seem to have several 401 errors, then a 200 success which seems to indicate to me that it is trying different authentication methods before finally succeeding.
Looking at both the working DEV box and the slow production box they appear to have the same permissions configure though so we will have to see.
EDIT2 : Authentication issues do not appear to be related. I’ve run some fiddler tests on the DEV and PRD and it shows cleary there is some sort of delay on the app side.
This is the response from the DEV box (working correctly):
Request Count: 1 Bytes Sent: 1,359 (headers:1,359; body:0) Bytes Received: 175,636 (headers:659; body:174,977) ACTUAL PERFORMANCE -------------- ClientConnected: 10:36:09.958 ClientBeginRequest: 10:36:24.414 GotRequestHeaders: 10:36:24.414 ClientDoneRequest: 10:36:24.414 Determine Gateway: 0ms DNS Lookup: 0ms TCP/IP Connect: 0ms HTTPS Handshake: 0ms ServerConnected: 10:36:24.377 FiddlerBeginRequest: 10:36:24.415 ServerGotRequest: 10:36:24.415 ServerBeginResponse: 10:36:24.578 GotResponseHeaders: 10:36:24.578 ServerDoneResponse: 10:36:24.590 ClientBeginResponse: 10:36:24.590 ClientDoneResponse: 10:36:24.591 Overall Elapsed: 0:00:00.177
and this is from the PRD box (slow response):
Request Count: 1 Bytes Sent: 1,321 (headers:1,321; body:0) Bytes Received: 159,171 (headers:661; body:158,510) ACTUAL PERFORMANCE -------------- ClientConnected: 10:36:55.024 ClientBeginRequest: 10:36:55.391 GotRequestHeaders: 10:36:55.391 ClientDoneRequest: 10:36:55.391 Determine Gateway: 0ms DNS Lookup: 0ms TCP/IP Connect: 0ms HTTPS Handshake: 0ms ServerConnected: 10:36:55.373 FiddlerBeginRequest: 10:36:55.391 ServerGotRequest: 10:36:55.391 ServerBeginResponse: 10:37:08.374 GotResponseHeaders: 10:37:08.374 ServerDoneResponse: 10:37:08.391 ClientBeginResponse: 10:37:08.391 ClientDoneResponse: 10:37:08.392 Overall Elapsed: 0:00:13.001
This is actually an extreme example of 13 seconds, almost consistently it is 4.9 seconds from ‘ServerGotRequest’ to ‘ServerBeginResponse’
EDIT 3 : The SPRequestDuration header returns : 13375.
Bit old thread but here are few things I will try.
1- If load balancer is being used try to make host file entry on client machine and hot directly to the server rather then coming from LB.
2- Try the same from SharePoint server it self using 127.0.0.1 ( I think you did that already)
3- Review Fiddler trace for any 404s.
4-Stop the distributed cache on server if running. Leave it stopped for some time to test the request. While DC is stopped do an IISReset and check load time again.
5- Disable minimal Download Strategy Feature ( MDS) feature on site.
6- Ping SQL server from WFE. Ideal ping time is < 1ms.
As you mentioned above this is Blank OOB site, so this should not take more then 2 seconds assuming there are only few users testing this farm I put together some steps/items to improve performance some time ago here and here
Answered by Umr on January 16, 2021
I think you are experiencing a timeout. Have a look at CRL-Checking first or give your SharePoint Server direct access to the internet.
Did you look in ULSLog and Windows Eventviewer for possible hints?
Answered by MHeld on January 16, 2021
1 Asked on February 18, 2021 by allegro-octopus
1 Asked on February 17, 2021 by sylvie
1 Asked on February 15, 2021 by ola
2 Asked on February 15, 2021 by hippyjim
1 Asked on February 15, 2021 by bobbywestside
1 Asked on February 14, 2021 by elised
1 Asked on February 13, 2021 by madeline
1 Asked on February 13, 2021
1 Asked on February 12, 2021 by zacc
0 Asked on February 11, 2021 by danj
1 Asked on February 11, 2021 by wrightyatwork
1 Asked on February 10, 2021 by vishwanath-mishra
1 Asked on February 10, 2021 by curtis
1 Asked on February 8, 2021
2 Asked on February 6, 2021 by mikey
1 Asked on February 4, 2021 by mee
1 Asked on February 4, 2021 by mirjam-kaal
1 Asked on February 3, 2021 by msiri28
1 Asked on February 2, 2021
1 Asked on January 29, 2021 by gaelle
Get help from others!
© 2023 AnswerBun.com. All rights reserved. Sites we Love: PCI Database, UKBizDB, Menu Kuliner, Sharing RPP