Sports Asked on May 21, 2021
In most professional sporting events that involve some form of ranking system to determine an overall winner, or progression into later stages, there are a series of tie-breaker rules to determine a winner / loser when the primary ranking metric is tied across two or more competitors.
For example, for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the tie-breakers for the group stage were as follows:
- greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
- goal difference in all group matches;
- greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
- greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
- goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
- greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
- greater number of points obtained in the fair play conduct of the teams based on yellow and red cards received in all group matches;
- drawing of lots by the FIFA.
Quite a lot of these tie-breakers end a coin toss, or another "luck of the draw" type scenario, to determine the "winner".
My question is: has any professional sporting event ever had to use its final "it’s down to luck" tie-breaker?
There are a number of examples of this, but mostly from the days when they didn't have nearly as many tiebreakers before the "coin toss". Some football examples:
The latter two would these days have been settled by a penalty shootout; the former would probably have used one of the "disciplinary record" tie-breakers but I haven't looked into the details.
Correct answer by Philip Kendall on May 21, 2021
1 Asked on September 19, 2020
1 Asked on September 18, 2020
1 Asked on September 18, 2020 by second-baseman
1 Asked on September 16, 2020
2 Asked on September 13, 2020 by christopher-chipps
1 Asked on September 13, 2020
3 Asked on September 7, 2020
2 Asked on September 5, 2020 by angelina-antonia
1 Asked on August 27, 2020 by lipata
1 Asked on August 23, 2020
1 Asked on August 21, 2020 by d-k-white
2 Asked on August 19, 2020
3 Asked on August 16, 2020 by kuzzooroo
3 Asked on August 16, 2020
1 Asked on August 11, 2020 by keerthi-kumar
Get help from others!